Points of Required Attention™
Friendly reminder: Please don't respond to spammers! Their posts inevitably get memory-holed when staff get around to, leaving behind an inexplicable tableau of you shouting at nothing and (if they otherwise would have been alone in a thread) dangling posts and wrong postcounts.
Views: 47,654,567
Main | FAQ | Uploader | IRC chat | Radio | Memberlist | Active users | Latest posts | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Search 06-19-18 01:58 PM
Guest: Register | Login

0 users currently in ROM Hacking | 1 guest | 2 bots

Main - ROM Hacking - I need motivation... New thread | New reply

Googie
Posted on 01-17-18 06:19 PM Link | Quote | ID: 166116

Giant Red Koopa
ROM Hacking is life!
Level: 71

EXP: 3155519
Next: 11595

Since: 02-19-07

Last post: 29 days
Last view: 29 days
I'm stuck in ROM Hacking right now, and I don't know how to get out of it. There's are so many projects I have in the back burner and I wanna finish 'em. I don't know which project to work on. Maybe you guys can gimme some feedback, halp!

Thanks...

RetroRain
Posted on 01-17-18 10:41 PM Link | Quote | ID: 166117

Fuzz Ball
Level: 62

EXP: 1957945
Next: 26741

Since: 09-30-07

Last post: 129 days
Last view: 126 days
I'm confused about what you mean, about needing motivation, based on what you said.

You need motivation for ROM hacking, or motivation for projects outside of ROM hacking?

If you need motivation for ROM hacking, then you'll know deep down inside, which projects you really want to do. What game do you feel like hacking or feel you can do something cool with? Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Megaman?

But if you are torn between ROM hacking and other projects outside of ROM hacking, ask yourself, what MEANS more to you?

Just feel it out. You'll know. What do you care more about? They'll always be multiple things you care about, but you'll have an urge to do something over something else. If you're not feeling that urge and none of the projects you have are motivating you, then you should get away from them for a while, and start something new, or do something different.

I know that feeling of lack of motivation. It honestly sucks. Right now I wish I could say that I have a motivation problem. Right now I have a time problem, not a motivation problem. All of my projects are on ice until my real-life starts getting better.

Good luck Googie.

dreamerman
Posted on 01-18-18 02:07 AM Link | Quote | ID: 166119

Red Goomba
Level: 16

EXP: 18461
Next: 1795

Since: 01-10-10

Last post: 152 days
Last view: 152 days
An audacious project would be MegaMan 9 for Nes.

Googie
Posted on 01-20-18 02:35 AM Link | Quote | ID: 166124

Giant Red Koopa
ROM Hacking is life!

Okay I decided to working on my 2nd Mega Man hack, the one with the Darkwing Duck graphics, but I need help. This is what I need help with if anyone is willing to help me.

1. Fix the first checkpoint in Bomb Man's stage.
2. Make Mega Man climb the ladder fast like in MM3.
3. I wanna have the hallways shortened like in MM2 for the robot masters.
4. Make the robot masters weaknesses different, if someone helps me they can change it however they want.

I gotta go back to relearn the editor, since I haven't used it for years.

RetroRain
Posted on 01-21-18 08:35 AM (rev. 5 of 01-22-18 04:50 AM) Link | Quote | ID: 166128

Fuzz Ball

I happened to have some free time this weekend, so I decided to see if I could find the data for you.

EDIT: Post updated

Posted by Googie
This is not an easy fix. I spent over two hours doing some manual hacking, to see if I could figure this out for you. When I initially opened Visine, I didn't see the checkpoints, so I just tried to find the data manually. After finding the various data, and checking the documented data and disassembly of the game, and even changing the checkpoint value in Visine after the fact as a confirmation, the game doesn't seem to cooperate if you change the checkpoint value (at least from what I saw in Bomb Man's stage). And then when I did get the screen I wanted to load, the scrolling was locked, and enemies wouldn't appear on the screen. I'll do some more testing tomorrow to see if I come up with something, but there is no guarantee.
Posted by Googie
0x15808 megaman upward climb speed

the higher the number, the higher the speed (01 will give you a good speed)

0x1583A megaman downward climb speed

the lower the number, the higher the speed (FE will give you a good speed)

Posted by Googie
This can be done, but it will require a lot of patience and trial and error. There are tables that have to be changed, which contain the screen IDs, and you'd have to mess with the scrolling, the objects for the doors, and possibly the rooms themselves, in order to get it all in sync with each other.

Taken from the Visine tutorial document:

KEY_P - For MegaMan 1 only, it changes the current room (screen) used. Hold Shift for the previous room index. MegaMan 1 uses room order. Unfortunately, some of these tables have a weird format, meaning you cannot change them for the following levels: Cut, Wily1, Guts and Ending levels.

I have seen, however, in Megaman Reloaded for instance, the one-screen passage to the boss chamber, so it can be done. But it will require a bit of work and some patience. You'll defintely have to change the table values. Cut Man's stage room order table begins at 0xC10. And as it says in the Visine tutorial, it has a weird format. For instance, if you compare the screen IDs in Visine to the tables that are actually in the game, they don't line up the way they should.

In all honesty, programming-wise, Megaman 1 sucks. I don't think it was programmed all that well. Even with the climbing speed, I had to track those values down, and they were hard to find. And in other MM games, it is one offset you have to change. But because of the way MM1 is programmed, there are two offsets, one for upward movement, and one for downward.

And the checkpoint algorithm isn't good either. It would require a good amount of effort in order to get the checkpoints to work right, as changing them from their originals causes the game to not function properly.

Posted by Googie
4. Make the robot masters weaknesses different, if someone helps me they can change it however they want.
Can you list what robot masters you want to be weak to what weapon?

Googie
Posted on 01-27-18 05:40 PM Link | Quote | ID: 166139

Giant Red Koopa
ROM Hacking is life!

Thanks RetroRain, I added the climbing offsets and they work perfectly. I dunno if I wanna have the robot masters have different weaknesses now cause certain levels I went throw just either crashed or reset on me.

Here's a sneak peek of Ice Man's stage.

I'll be honest, my first MM hack wasn't all that great, hopefully I can redeem myself with this one. Hacking MM is way different than other games. I also wanna make a MM3 hack with Kuja Killer's improvement patch down the road. So many projects so little time lol!

RetroRain
Posted on 01-28-18 07:59 AM Link | Quote | ID: 166145

Fuzz Ball

Posted by Googie
Thanks RetroRain, I added the climbing offsets and they work perfectly.
You're welcome.
Posted by Googie
I dunno if I wanna have the robot masters have different weaknesses now cause certain levels I went throw just either crashed or reset on me.
No problem.
Posted by Googie
Here's a sneak peek of Ice Man's stage.

Nice graphics. Did you create those yourself or rip them from a game?

Posted by Googie
So many projects so little time lol!
You have no idea...haha.

Googie
Posted on 01-28-18 10:00 PM Link | Quote | ID: 166147

Giant Red Koopa
ROM Hacking is life!

Remember Dragonsbrethren? He ripped the graphics for me, it was originally gonna be a MM4 hack but we decided to roll with MM1.

RetroRain
Posted on 01-31-18 03:45 AM Link | Quote | ID: 166153

Fuzz Ball

Yeah. Was over fifteen years ago I believe. Feels like a lifetime ago.

Sometimes I really miss those days, when TEK, DES, and CG were around.

I just wish I was more mature and the person that I am now. I've been in the scene since about '99, but I feel like I've never really contributed anything. And the irony is that I feel like I have the confidence and capability to do so now, but not the time. My OCD, lack of patience and persistence, the need for instant gratification and perfection are the reasons why I always started hacks but never finished them, and canned them shorty after starting them. I have never really made a complete hack. I would like to make a complete hack one of these days. But real life stuff has to come first.

Good luck with this Megaman hack. I look forward to seeing more. And if there is anyway I can help, just make a post or PM me, and I'll see if I can help.

Speaking of, are you still interested in having the checkpoints changed?

Also, do you know how to make the passage to the boss chamber a single-screen passage? This is most likely easier to do than the checkpoints. It just requires several changes, which I listed in my post above. But if you get stuck, and want me to take a look at it, I can.

The checkpoints... as I mentioned, the game doesn't cooperate when you change them, although I can understand perfectly why you'd want to change them. If you still want the checkpoints changed, I'll do some more research and hacking and see if I can make it work.

You and I should do a collaboration Megaman hack in the future. I think we'd do really good.

Googie
Posted on 02-07-18 08:35 PM Link | Quote | ID: 166161

Giant Red Koopa
ROM Hacking is life!

If the checkpoints won't gimme any problems with enemies glitching, then yeah I'm open to that.

Yeah we should work on a MM hack together, I was thinking maybe Mega Man 2, I already have MM3 with Kuja Killer's patch ready to be hacked, but yeah let's hack MM2.

I'm willing to learn how to use the best editor to hack MM2, we can make an epic hack together.

RetroRain
Posted on 02-09-18 05:00 AM Link | Quote | ID: 166169

Fuzz Ball

I'm not opposed to hacking Megaman 2, but I just wanted to tell my story real quick. You may remember the MM2 hack I was working on over a year ago (http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?pid=163147#163147). One of the things that was putting me off was the way MM2 had its TSA set up. I literally ran out of of tile space, so as a result I felt the quality of my hack wasn't as good as it could be. For instance, I couldn't include the proper ends of those pipes you see in those pics.

And to me, those pipes didn't look right without their ends. And I didn't feel like going crazy altering the TSA ASM, and then having to study and modify Visine to adapt to that new code, so that hack was put on ice.

If you look at how MM2 has its level tiles, it dedicates a few rows of tiles for common tiles such as ladders and boss doors, etc.

So I made a decision to port my level over to MM4, where I had free reign with all of the Pattern Table background tiles. And then, I recall getting away from ROM hacking for a while due to real life and an interest in other projects.

So, yeah, I'm all for hacking MM2, but I'd prefer MM4, because in my opinion it is the best up-to-date MM game that has tons of great enemies and hacking potential, not to mention tons of documented ASM that we could use to do all sorts of things. And with all of that tile space, you could include all the graphics you'll need for a stage. And MegaFLE X is an awesome editor that doesn't take too long to get used to.

So let me know your thoughts, and what kinds of ideas you have in mind for a MM hack.

I have ideas, but those are reserved for my own projects that I wish to continue in the future (Megaman Recall and Into Darkness).

Googie
Posted on 02-10-18 02:46 AM Link | Quote | ID: 166188

Giant Red Koopa
ROM Hacking is life!

I'm cool with hacking MM4, I even made a video of two levels I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl0Gf4Edl0

Maybe we can work on this one.

Maybe the level graphics from Darkwing Duck can be added in MM4.

RetroRain
Posted on 02-10-18 03:42 AM (rev. 2 of 02-10-18 03:45 AM) Link | Quote | ID: 166189

Fuzz Ball

I'm going to send you a PM.

Zieldak
Posted on 02-24-18 12:55 AM (rev. 3 of 02-24-18 01:30 AM) Link | Quote | ID: 166240

Crow
Level: 38

EXP: 355155
Next: 15292

Since: 12-01-11

Last post: 7 days
Last view: 7 days
Posted by Googie
Okay I decided to working on my 2nd Mega Man hack, the one with the Darkwing Duck graphics, but I need help. This is what I need help with if anyone is willing to help me.

I gotta go back to relearn the editor, since I haven't used it for years.

So uh... I answered everything related to the things you mentioned with the exception of the climbing speed since that was answered already in the general mm hacking thread. Here's a link. http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?pid=166238#166238

(also, this is technically a bump on that thread since that post has been edited several time since I posted it.)

Main - ROM Hacking - I need motivation... New thread | New reply

Acmlmboard 2.1+3δ (2016-01-08)
© 2005-2016 Acmlm, blackhole89, Xkeeper et al.

Page rendered in 0.137 seconds. (341KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 101, rows: 136/0, time: 0.071 seconds.